Sunday, December 7, 2014

Review: Tropical Paradise by Free Spirits Cosmetics

Tropical Sunrise by Free Spirits
I promised I'd do a review once I found the perfect orange lipstick and now that I have, here it is!

Some background: Free Spirits Cosmetics is a new but expanding make up line created by Leandra Goodridge, a Barbadian entrepreneur who is also a make up artist.

Now to the review!

I've been trying to get my grubby hands on one of these products for the longest time but her products are so popular that they sell out quickly but this time I timed the re-stocking right and got my hands on one of the lipsticks.

The particular shade I chose was Tropical Sunrise. In the image above it looks pink but in actuality it's a bright orange. It is a matte lipstick but it's still very moisturizing which is great I've had terrible experiences with matte lipstick in the past. MAC's Ruby Woo flaked on my lips and NYX lip cream was not creamy at all! No amount of lip balm or exfoliation would make matte lipstick work for my naturally dry lips but I have to say that this lipstick didn't flake or settle into the creases of my lips. It went on smooth, stayed put, stayed creamy and did not dry out for the entire day. I am amazed.

As its a bright orange lipstick, you might want to wear it with a liner but it's not necessary. I've found that a great way to tone it down is to take your finger and blend it out around the edges, while leaving the middle as bright and rich as ever. I learnt this trick while watching Korean dramas. They like their lipstick to fade as it goes outwards from the centre of their lips. This is completely opposite to what we do in the Caribbean as I've found that we tend to like our lips to look richer on the outside then fade in (hence the heavy use of dark lipliner only applied on the borders of the lips while a lighter colour is inside. But I digress.)

The packaging is cute: it comes in a matte plastic red casing with Free Spirits written on the side in fancy gold script. There is a see-through glass top so that you can get a preview of what shade you are getting without having to open it or check the bottom for the name of the shade. This will definitely come in handy when I'm rushing in the mornings.

The only complaint I have is I love it so much that I wish there was more of it! I compared the length of the stick to my other MAC lipsticks and with MAC you definitely get more product. But to be fair, Free Spirit lipsticks are so pigmented that you won't need much of it so it'll probably last just as long, maybe longer than MAC lipsticks.

I'm in love and I'm about to buy more lipsticks. I've got my eye on Bajan night, a sexy dark brown shade.

P.S. I feel obligated to tell you guys how to get these products from the cosmetics line because there's not much info about it yet online as its only just started. The best way to get her products is to follow her on Instagram because she updates her followers whenever she has replenished stock. Then you can purchase them online and have them shipped to you.

And take a look at all the matte shades in this video!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I value each and every comment. Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback on what you think.